Thursday, May 15, 2014

NEW YORK AGAINST THE BELZEBU



Nelson is a member of NYAB and one hell of a nice guy! I am happy to be in contact with him as NYAB was one of the first noisecore bands I heard many years ago. They are continuing their assault in 2014 and have no indication of slowing down anytime soon. Enjoy!


Can you give me a little history lesson about NYAB. How long has the band been around? What lineup changes have there been throughout the years? What are some of the band's influences when recording?

Nelson: We started in June 1994 and still grinding. Only me is from the original line-up. We have some changes of members, not a lot if you think we are in 2014 now. But I always invited friends to play in NYAB, so, we had a lot of different people from varied styles playing in NYAB since 1994.   Its makes NYAB sounds great.
Our influences are very varied, but we tried not to be influenced when recording. This way is necessary to not sounds as another band.  Lyrics influences are our day-to-day life. 
But we like noie core and grind core in general… and metal and other styles also…   Some influences us to goodness, some influences us to hate…

What city does NYAB live in? Can you tell me about the scene there? How were things when NYAB first started, and how is it now?

Nelson:  We live in São Paulo, Brazil.  Now the scene here is almost dead, but in 90s scene was very active with a lot of bands and gigs. There´s just a few  bands from that time still grinding….   nothing compared to golden 90´s. When we started, scene was in ebullition, we born in the middle of storm. I was already in scene with my zine Rotthenness since 1990.

Over the many years, what are some essential Brazilian bands and releases that people should check out? Of course, there are famous bands like Rot, but what are some bands that people might have missed out on.

Nelson and Adilson: Well, talking only in noise/grind bands, there´s a lot of interesting bands as POLLUTIO SONAX, SCARRHOUS, SONIC TORMENT, T.D.N., PUTREFAÇÃO HUMANA, FECALOID, BAPHORIZATION, EXTREMA AFLIÇÃO CRUEL, SCOURGE SYSTEM, DISHARMONIC NOISE, MUSICAL ENEMIES, EREBO, just to mention a few underground Brazilian bands…Most of releases of these bands are tapes in limited copies. I couldn´t mention name of releases, sorry.  

 Do you have any favorite venues that NYAB has played? What shows have you played or seen that stick out in your mind?

Nelson: We open a show to DORSAL ATLANTICA in Rio de Janeiro back in 98. re  For irony, I was sick and a friend of mine used to play drums. We open a show to KRISIUN back in 1997 or 2000 (I don´t remember now – I need to check the flyer show).  Our show in a Festival in Portuguesa Stadium in 1999 was very good also, 10 minutes of show, but people asking for songs, its unforgettable to me.     

What makes Brazilian grindcore and noisecore unique and different than anywhere else in the world? What make you want to keep playing noisecore after all these years?

Nelson: I think that all difficulties in Brazil to do anything influences the bands to be angry most of others in the world. I mean difficulties in musical equipment, political corruption etc.. all of this makes us  angry a lot !!!!   I think I still making noise because it´s on my heart…  It’s running in my veins together with my blood.  Today morning, for example, I woke up at 5:00 a.m. thinking in a NYAB new release idea.  Its moving my life and helps me to forget the useless meaning of our boring life in this world.  I want to think in NYAB in bad moments in my life… it helps me in my every day life. 



Rotthenness zine has been around since the 90s. Can you tell me about the zine? Is it paper or online? How many issues have there been? Where can fans get a copy of this?

Nelson - I started the zine back in 1987 and stopped in 1991. It was 4 issues. In that time all was paper, never online.. Rottthenness zine dealed more with metal thing than punk/hc stuff.   First and second issues was xerocopied and other issues was made in official graphic.  Unfortunately its is available since years…   I have just the original “master”, not any copies….

Are there any record stores in Sao Paulo right now where fans can easily get copies of grindcore tapes and records? Or do people still rely on tape trading right now? With postage prices being so damn expensive, I imagine it is hard to get import albums most of the time.

Nelson -  There are so record stores as EXTREME NOISE where you can find this stuff, but tapes and tape trading now is very rare….  Brazil is not producing tapes anymore.  Shipping price always was expensive, but now is increased a lot. But who want the stuff, must pay and get the stuff. We are into this for the feeling, not for money.  If its expensive, let´s work more and buy… its what I think…

 Is there a problem with police and punk shows in Sao Paulo? Do police ever shut down shows or cause violence at shows? 

Nelson: In nowadays, not….   But in the 80´s and 90´s there were a lot of violence at the shows.   But now ther´s just some shows here and there….   In 80´s a lot of people came to the shows. Nowadays I think the scene is very down…  But we are here and we will put scene active again !!!



What can we expect from NYAB in the next year?

Nelson: Well, we intend to make 20 releases this year, to celebrate the 20 years of NYAB.  You can expect, for shure, NYAB/Deche Charge split EP, NYAB/Oral Protection split tape, NYAB/Psycho Sin split EP, NYAB – tribute to Kenny G, NYAB/Sposa in Alto Mare split cd and NYAB – a new cd, called BOM DIA BRASIL.  All this stuff is 100% sure you will get..   


  





No comments:

Post a Comment